Sunday, November 18, 2012

Where I Lived, and What I Lived For by Henry David Thoreau


Cohen, Samuel S.. 50 essays: a portable anthology. 3rd ed., Instructors ed. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's, 2011. Print.


Thoreau moved to the woods to get back to the basics of life.  He wanted to simplify his life and moving away from the populated city was his way of accomplishing that.  He believed that we can live without news, which he states is just gossip, about what is happening all over the world.  That if we just go within ourselves and settle ourselves in the present moment of reality, we are living a simple life.  When he says, “I do not wish to be any more busy with my hands than is necessary.  My head is hands and feet.  I feel all my best faculties concentrated in it.” He is saying that when you stay with yourself and only concern or think with your mind about what your are doing at that particular moment, you are living the simple life that Thoreau was searching for. 



In my life camping is my way of getting away and feeling close to living simply.  There aren’t electronics to distract me; you have to focus on what needs to get done at the moment, like chopping wood to build a fire to cook on.  You stop worrying about all the things you have to get done and all the people that feel like they need your attention.  Your focus changes because there aren’t many distractions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment